If there’s one cake many of us (half a million a year to be exact) tuck into on our birthdays, it’s none other than Colin The Caterpillar’s milk chocolate cake.
Now, the popular caterpillar is celebrating his 30th birthday, and he has a special birthday cupcake recipe to get any party started.
Whip up these cupcakes at home to celebrate the special occasion. And, those looking for the Colin The Caterpillar cake itself can get it at M&S stores across Oman.
· 1 large egg
· 100ml buttermilk
· 100g vegetable oil
· 30g cocoa powder
· 150g granulated white sugar
· 100g all-purpose flour
· ¾ tsp baking soda
· ¼ tsp salt
· 90ml hot water
· 3 large egg whites
· 65g granulated sugar
· 220g softened butter
· 70g condensed milk
· 1 pack M&S Colin the Caterpillar sweets
· Chocolate biscuit crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 and prepare a cupcake tray with cases/liners.
2. Sieve all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
3. Combine the egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil in another bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Add hot water and mix till well combined.
6. Fill cupcake liners about halfway with batter and bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.
7. Remove and cool the cupcakes on a cooling rack.
1. While the cupcakes are baking, gently heat the egg whites and sugar over a bain-marie / double boiler until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture reaches about 55-60°C.
2. Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk at high speed until the meringue reaches stiff peaks.
3. Gradually add in the softened butter in small chunks and beat until smooth.
4. Add the condensed milk and green food colouring, mix until fully combined.
5. Decorate cooled cupcakes using grass piping tip.
6. Adorn the finished cupcakes with M&S Colin the Caterpillar sweets and chocolate biscuit crumbs.