The military charity Walking With The Wounded is set to host a 400km walk across Oman later this year.
A team of ex-military personnel will attempt to make the journey across the Empty Quarter, the world’s largest sand desert, over the course of 21 days.
The trek pays homage to the legendary travels of British military officer and explorer Wilfred Thesiger across the Arabian Peninsula in the 1940s.
The group will set off on November 20, and reach their destination on December 11 - Oman’s Armed Forces Day.
Expedition patron The Duke of Sussex said, “I am proud once again to support them and support the veterans whose courage, determination, and resilience is a credit to all of us who have served.
“To the men and women selected for this team, good luck! I know people all over the world will be cheering you on.”
Ed Parker, CEO of Walking With The Wounded, said that Oman had been chosen for the walk because of the close ties between the two countries.
He added, “The UK supported His Majesty Sultan Qaboos during the Dhofar Conflict in 1972 and the UK and Omani military continue to train closely with one another today.
“Our aims, as before, are to raise and maintain awareness of the challenges many face in the wider military community. The funds raised will support WWTW’s existing programmes - supporting those ex-service men and women who have struggled since they left the Armed Forces.”
The ex-service personnel, all of whom have physical or cognitive injuries, will trek between 20km and 22km a day while pulling a custom-built cart weighing in excess of 300kg.
Previous treks have taken place in the USA, UK, and the north and south poles.